Every month you should take a step back from your SEO campaign so you don’t miss the forest for the trees.
Why a monthly SEO report is important?
Those of us managing an SEO campaign have a lot to do. There’s never an end to the thinks we could be doing to improve our SEO results. However, if we just keep doing things we might forget to ask ourselves, “is this working?” Yes, this is true even if you follow The SEO Game Plan. You still need to stop and check to make sure your efforts are producing your desired results.
Don’t miss the forest for the trees. I think, if you step back for a moment, you’l be encouraged to see that your efforts are starting to work and that will motivate you to keep working on your SEO campaign.
What should you expect from a monthly SEO report?
A bad SEO report will tell you:
- Where you “rank”. What good is rank if it doesn’t produce traffic?
- How much traffic you got. What good is traffic if it doesn’t produce new leads or sales.
- How much stuff you did. What good is doing stuff, if it doesn’t produce results.
- A bunch of numbers with fancy names that sound impressive but you don’t understand. Numbers (data) only means something when compared along some dimension. So, you got 1,000 sessions and had a bounce rate of 75%. Is that good or bad? Who knows unless you compare it to:
- The month before
- The previous year
- The source of the traffic
A good monthly report should tell you:
- What is working
- What is not working
- What you should be doing more of
- What you should be doing less of
- How you can better achieve your goals
The whole point of a good report is give you action items for improved results.